GIRD organizes action and campaign programmes in different parts of India on vast range of issues affecting the rural masses. These include
— strengthening farmer communities through scientific and technological information,
- Developing skills and capabilities,
- helping their access to micro finance,
- organizing Self Help Groups among farmers, women,
- reaching science and technology education to rural India for community development,
- promoting education,
- Promoting health and sanitation,
- fighting malnutrition,
- promoting eco-friendly farming and manufacturing practices and conservation and efficient use of energy, and helping to shift to safe and alternative sources of energy.
As a member organization of the Confederation of NGOs of Rural India (CNRI), GIRD has been active in promoting effective implementation of MNREGA and other rural development programmes in different parts of India which benefit a large numbers of rural people in getting employment and livelihood means.