This Project has been designed for achieving the objective of taking steps to make the NCT of Delhi a Clean, Green and Liveable city by improving its “environs” and “aesthetics”.
The benefits of the completion of the
project would be charting out creation of greater consciousness among different sections of the urban community in the NCT of Delhi;
better environmental health for the people residing in Delhi, permanently as well as temporarily; and
making Delhi environmentally aesthetic and attractive to the health conscious international and domestic tourists.
The above benefits are to be achieved through an intensive action and education campaign involving active participation of local communities and socially concerned groups from different walks of life.
This Project draws inspiration from the Clean up the World Campaign programme first started in 1990 by Mr. Ian Kiernan in Australia. The Clean up the World Campaign inspires and empowers communities all over the world to clean up, fix up and conserve environment. Our organization, Green Institute for Research & Development (GIRD) has been actively participating in the campaign since 2007 by organizing hundreds of Indian volunteers for the campaign held every year in Dubai. The Campaign is held in different places in 130 countries. It has the support and assistance of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). The Campaign has been able to involve the participation of an estimated 35 million volunteers annually, making it one of the largest community-based environmental campaigns in the world. It has been able positively improve local environments.
Our organisation, having the experience of participation in the Clean up the World Campaign in Dubai since 2007, is of the view that there is need for bringing the Campaign to Indian cities. At present, such a large-scale campaign involving large numbers of people is not held in any of the cities in India. Organisation of such campaign in Indian cities will be in line with the spirit of the “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan”.
We propose to organize a major Clean up Programme in Delhi
Delhi, besides being the capital city of one of the most populous countries of the world, has significance on account of its historical heritage. There are many historically important monuments and other sites in Delhi including the two World Heritage sites, namely, Qutub Minar and Humayun’s Tomb. Its population has been increasing over time. Delhi is annually visited by more than 200 Lakh domestic visitors and about 20 Lakh foreign visitors.
But, there have been concerns expressed about the different aspects of the life of the people living in Delhi and its status as a major city of the world.
One feature that strikes the general public about Delhi is its continuing unhygienic surroundings, heaps of urban waste in different nooks and corners of public places, and even right in the middle of the public roads and squares, lying unattended. These contain stinking waste heaps, where disease causing pathogens breed and foul the air breathed by the people, and obtrusive debris of non-biodegradable materials like plastics and glass which are scattered. Even after sincere efforts and measures taken by the Governments, some of them taken under the direction of the Supreme Court such as adoption of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) as the fuel for public transport and other innovative measures like implementation of rationing of roads for vehicles (Odd-Even), Delhi’s environment remains to this day to be very unhealthy and hazardous.
CLEAN UP DELHI PROGRAMME
The proposed Programme will include
- ORGANISE AN URBAN CLEAN UP PROGRAMME FOR CLEANING UP THE WASTES AND LITTERS, AND HEAPS OF DEBRIS LYING ROUND PUBLIC PLACES
- THIS WILL BE ORGANISED WITH THE INVOLVEMENT OF LARGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE ORGNISED INTO “CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS” BELONGING TO DIFFERENT CATEGORIES OF COMMUNITIES LIKE REGIONAL GROUPS (PUNJABIS, BIHARIS, BENGALIS, TAMILS, TELUGU PEOPLE, MALAYALIS, ETC) AND STUDENT GROUPS FROM DIFFERENT LOCALITIES
- CLEAN UP DELHI PROGAMME WILL ALSO INVOLVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF COMMUNICATION PROGRAMMES TO GIVE OUT OF THE MESSAGE OF ENVIROMENT PROTECTION AND ENVIRONMENT HEALTH TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC SUCH AS POSTERS AND STREET EXHIBITIONS OF ART AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Photographs of clean cities in the world will be displayed and the benefits of the clean environment will be communicated through art works and photographs.
IN COORDINATION WITH THE HORTICULTURE DEPARMENT OF THE GOVERNMENTS, PLANTATION WILL BE TRIED IF FOUND SUITABLE IN THE LOCALITIES CHOSEN FOR THE CLEAN UP WORK.
- CLEAN UP WILL BE HELD IN SELECT LOCATIONS WHERE THERE ARE VISIBLE SIGNS OF ENVIRONMENT DEGRADATION AND DECAY AND WHERE PEOPLE FREQUENT ON DAILY BASIS
- A SPIRIT OF SERVICE AS ENVISAGED BY GANDHIJI WILL GUIDE THE CLEAN UP DRIVE
- THIS PROGRAMME OF CLEAN UP DRIVE ENVISAGES TO INCORPORATE THE FOLLOWING OBJETIVES
- INVOKE THE SENSE OF RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR ON THE PART OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES AND SPECIFIC STAKEHOLDDERS LIKE COMMERCICAL ENTITIES WHO NEED TO KEEP THE VICINIITEIS OF THEIR ESTABLISHMENTS ENVIRONMENTALLY HEALTHY TO REAP THE BENEFITS FROM A CLEAN ENVIRONEMNT
- IMPROVE URBAN ENVIROMENT HEALTH, THUS BENEFITTING THE PEOPLE RESIDING IN DELHI AS WELL AS THOSE WHO WILL BE VISITING DELHI
- IMPRESS THE TOURISTS AND OTHER VISITORS AND THEREBY IMPROVE MORE TOURIST POTENTIALS
- ORIENTING THE PUBLIC MORES TOWARDS HABITS THAT WOULD REDUCE PUBLIC LITTERING AND WOULD IMPROVE CULTURAL ATTRACTIO
Methodology to realize the Action Plan
The plan of action being worked out to achieve the above objectives include
- to organise “CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS” among different community groups
- CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS will be drawn from all possible categories within the specific communities, viz., students, youth, women will have maximum presence in CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS for each selected locations.
- identification of physical areas of CLEAN UP programme
- identification and preparation / finalization of art and photographic materials
- assemble at select location on the Clean Up Days and engage in Clean Up Activities and exhibition of posters, art work and photographs in order to attact the attention of the public so that the message of environmental protection is imbibed by them.
Special focus of CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS will be making major public places of Delhi litter-free and making the environs aesthetic
The Gandhian concept of Service to the Society and the Nation will motivate the members of the CLEAN UP ACTION GROUPS.